Notes on how to look like a local when it rains. From a newbie:
- Never use an umbrella. Instead, wear a hat. Even if you’re not a hat person.
- Always plan your outfit to include multiple layers. Always. Even if you walk outside and it’s sunny at the moment. Even if the weather report promises a high of 60 degrees. In fact, stop checking the weather channel and just expect it to be cold.
- Wear lots of black. Even if your previous experience of living in India stretched your color palette to include colors and patterns you never thought you’d wear, but now love. Stick with black or gray.
- Always wear jeans. Still trying to figure out if it’s the same pair all the time or multiple pairs for different occasions.
- It doesn’t actually rain every day, but you should expect it to rain. Even if you wake up and it’s bright and sunny, which does happen. But, expect it to rain.
- Learn to talk about the weather. Talking about the weather is more than just small talk here. It’s a bonding experience. Even if you’re the kind of person who doesn’t pay much attention to the weather. If you want to survive, you’ve got to share the gray and celebrate the sun.